my sig. other has long had the hots for keanu reeves & we’ve watched a ton of his movies together. he had a big career but it seems to have ebbed lately.
its hard to say what all was so cool about the movie. or rather its hard to narrow it down. my favorite scene is where neo wakes up in the toilet bowl of goo after taking the red pill, looks around & sees the dystopia of robots and human pods, and then quickly gets “flushed” by an angry looking robot.
the red pill, the blue pill, what is it going to be?
the matrix (~2 years pre 911) introduced and made subversive, conspiracy-based, edging-on-paranoid thinking somewhat more palatable to the masses.
also the idea of the star of the movie being a computer programmer was unconventional yet very enthralling at the time. geek culture had not really taken hold, that took many years later. but it was the peak of the dotcom frenzy and programmers were stars and getting major media coverage.
quite most bizarre, how about that weird robot-human slavery or parasitism angle?
the matrix was inspired by a lot of hardcore philosophy. have read some of it.
here are some links. interviews, 15year retrospectives, lots of scifi stackexchange questions on the topic, four major philosophy books focusing on matrix philosophy, and even a computer science authority expounds on matrix-like subjects without even once citing the matrix.
oh yeah and of course the connection to politics explored by Moore is the the most subversive of all.
funky factoid: the wachowskis are huge anime fans (as seen in their animatrix sequel) and pitched their movie to studio executives by citing classic weird cyber anime Ghost in the Shell.
- 1. Official Interviews | MatrixFans.net
- 2. Looking Back At ‘The Matrix’ Fifteen Years Later
- 3. Happy 15th Anniversary, The Matrix — Vulture
- 4. HuffPost Live – Why ‘The Matrix’ Was Such A Hit
- 5. 15 years ago today: ‘The Matrix’ is released! | HLNtv.com
- 6. movie – Is the basic premise of humans as a power source in The Matrix reasonable? – Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange
- 7. Do people in the Matrix have a free mind? – Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange
- 8. Why Did the Machines Even Bother With a Matrix? – Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange
- 9. technology – What are the machines in the Matrix doing? – Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange
- 10. How does Animatrix storyline relate to The Matrix movies? – Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange
- 11. movie – What does the blue pill in The Matrix actually do? – Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange
- 12. Was executive meddling the cause of “humans as batteries” in The Matrix? – Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange
- 13. Like a Splinter in Your Mind: The Philosophy Behind the Matrix Trilogy
- 14. Philosophers Explore The Matrix
- 15. The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Desert of the Real (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
- 16. Taking the Red Pill: Science, Philosophy and the Religion in the Matrix (Smart Pop series)
- 17. The Evil Genius | Gödel’s Lost Letter and P=NP
- 18. Escaping the Matrix: How We The People can change the world – Richard Moore
- 19. Escaping the Matrix : Information Clearing House: ICH
- 20. American imperialism – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- 21. 15 Years Later The Matrix Still Has Us / IGN