❗ 😮 hi all. recently facebook was accused/ implicated in steering news items away from conservative sites. every few years, facebook “faces” these types of PR messes and Zuckerberg is probably nearly a pro at handling them by now. there were a lot of press reverberations.
facebook is like the 800LB gorilla of the media. they embody the “winner takes all” aspect of our economy. most other media outlets are having serious troubles, such as old stalwarts like NYT somewhat “on the ropes”. oh yeah and then there was that crazy gawker judgement recently. hoo, boy!
facebook is rewriting the rules of the media game. much the way that tweaks to googles algorithms cause fat/ huge ripples/ shudders in the mass SEO business (and today, nearly every media outlet is in the SEO business to varying degrees), facebooks small adjustments to their site can have massive repercussions.
its interesting in all this how algorithmic theory is intersecting with media concerns like fairness, impartiality, freedom from censorship, openness, etc… is this a story about algorithms or people? its kind of about the intersection of the two. oh, throw in political pov (right vs left). its a volatile mix. throughout the story, people are grappling with a different landscape. a paradigm shift.
facebook would probably prefer to suggest that their system is entirely running on algorithms to help give the semblance of partiality. but sometimes humans filter the output of machines. facebook is being pulled/ thrust into the journalistic milieu with questions of impartiality and fairness, balance etc.
there is not really a simple/ single story here, there are many different stories and angles. it has “the elephant and the blind men” feel to it. aka “in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.” maybe that man is Mark Zuckerberg.
so far facebook hasnt figured out a way to share all that media wealth with other media companies. not sure they are even trying. there is a lot of (justifiable!) fear in this business after a history of really tumultuous/ wrenching changes.
the other big story/ probable paradigm-shift-in-progress is that personal sharing/ facebook updates are in decline by individuals and that facebook is becoming more of a media hub. personalized in the sense that it understands user preferences, but maybe less personalized in the sense that people are using it to connect with each other and share personal info/ details. is the massive era of “user generated content” starting to run out of steam? that might appear to be the case from some signs/ signals.
heres a collection of key links collected in the swirl of daily headlines to help get into this complex story.
- 1. Zuckerberg Weighs in on the Controversy Over Trending News | WIRED
- 2. Conservative Trump supporter Lauren Southern banned from Facebook for mentioning censorship | Daily Mail Online
- 3. Facebook admits rogue employees may have shown bias against conservatives – Washington Times
- 4. The Real Bias Built In at Facebook – The New York Times
- 5. Senator Demands Answers From Facebook on Claims of ‘Trending’ List Bias – The New York Times
- 6. Information About Trending Topics | Facebook Newsroom
- 7. Why Did Facebook Cave? They Find No Evidence of Bias, but Give in to Conservatives’ Demands Anyway | Alternet
- 8. What disturbed me about the Facebook meeting. — Medium
- 9. Facebook Blacklists Trending News Stories Daily, Contractors Say » Alex Jones’ Infowars: There’s a war on for your mind!
- 10. Let’s say obvious things about Facebook and conservative news | The Verge
- 11. Want to Know What Facebook Really Thinks of Journalists? Here’s What Happened When It Hired Some.
- 12. Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative News
- 13. Facebook admits its trending news algorithm needs a lot of human help | The Verge
- 14. Of Course Facebook Is Biased. That’s How Tech Works Today | WIRED
- 15. Facebook Just Responded to Charges That It’s Been Manipulating Political Coverage | Alternet
- 16. Facebook Is Fully Capable Of Inserting Bias Into Your Feed — ScienceDaily
- 17. Mark Zuckerberg says there’s ‘no evidence’ that Facebook staff suppressed conservative stories | The Verge
- 1. Liking on Facebook good for teens’ stress, but being liked…not so much: Teens who have more than 300 Facebook friends have higher levels of cortisol, the stress hormone — ScienceDaily
- 2. Envy key motivator behind many Facebook posts, but site hurts mental well-being — ScienceDaily
- 3. Do Facebook and Twitter Make You Depressed?
- 4. Facebook Shuts Down Its ‘Creative Labs’ for App Experiments | WIRED
- 5. Four reasons breaking up with Facebook is hard to do — ScienceDaily
- 6. Mark Zuckerberg’s plea for internet freedom means nothing if he keeps kissing up to China – Quartz
- 7. Are you Facebook dependent? New study findings reveal user trends — ScienceDaily
- 8. If Facebook use causes envy, depression could follow — ScienceDaily
- 9. Facebook Confronts The Free Internet Neutrality Dilemma | TechCrunch
- 10. Inside Facebook’s Ambitious Plan to Connect the Whole World | WIRED
- 11. What People Were Saying About Facebook Before It Got Big – Digg
- 12. WhatsApp now has over a BILLION users, revealing over 42bn messages are sent a day | Daily Mail Online
- 13. Sara Cox investigates whether Facebook is RUINING your friendships | Daily Mail Online
- 14. Mark Zuckerberg says sharing on Facebook ‘makes the world more understanding’ | Daily Mail Online
- 15. Talk about yourself on social media? New study reveals brain network for sharing self-related information on Facebook — ScienceDaily
- 16. Facebook Really Does Rule The Internet, And These Charts Prove It
- 17. Do you obsess over Facebook and Instagram likes? | Daily Mail Online
- 18. Facebook’s Plan to Stop People From Livestreaming Sex? You. | WIRED
- 19. In Its Fight Against Fake News, Facebook Found A Resilient Foe – BuzzFeed News
- 20. This is Facebook’s gorgeous, open-source 360-degree video camera | The Verge
- 21. Facebook isn’t the social network anymore. So what is it?
- 22. The Worst Thing That Could Happen to Facebook Is Already Happening | Inc.com
- 23. Facebook Is Eating The Internet – BuzzFeed News
- 24. Facebook May Host News Sites’ Content – NYTimes.com
- 25. Facebook woos media giants: Will social media control the future of news? (+video) – CSMonitor.com
- 26. The most concerning element of Facebook’s potential new power – Columbia Journalism Review
- 27. Facebook Has Seized the Media, and That’s Bad News for Everyone But Facebook | WIRED
- 28. 10 Things Facebook’s Given Away to Take Over the World | WIRED