hi all. now seems as good a time as any to write on this topic. the dallas killer robot taking out a sniper alarmingly blurs the line between military and civilian/ police use of robotics. but hey, thats always been what americans are good at right? we seem to have long had some pretty “mixed up boundaries” on use of (lethal) force esp compared/ contrast with other countries.
every few years there is a small outbreak or commotion over use of military drones. drones have probably killed a few thousand over the many years that theyve been used. by a massive sleight of hand the military classifies nearly all casualties as “enemy combatants” based on their proximity to the target. hey, tail wagging the dog right? that was an old brilliant satire movie from many years ago that nobody remembers anymore anyway.
anyway within last few weeks, obama officially finally released figures after many years of empty promises and footdragging and theres a smattering of headlines and editorials.[a]
the magic number is 116.
so now we can all just heave a massive sigh of relief, write it down on a yellow sticky note and put it on the refrigerator or whatever. 116 is not that bad. and obama can pat himself on the back for his amazing forebearance and (trying to get the right word here)… restraint. and oh yeah, that favorite military word, precision. oh lets face it whatever number he came up with, hed get all kinds of criticism on it right? clearly its a total no-win sitation for him. and hey, its not his problem in less than a ~½year anyway. whose the next commander in chief anyway? we can be sure either hillary or donald will do a better job, right? 😮 👿
elsewhere, big news: jihadi john was vaporized by a drone.[b] does anyone remember him? he was top news just a few years ago at the beginning of the war. since hes dead now, maybe we can stop the war? but strangely this recent news didnt seem to cause as much impact as the original feverish jihadi john headlines. ah well war is like that. even ISIL execution propaganda seems not to be getting front page news any more. reminds me of those poor pop performers like justin bieber or taylor swift who have to endlessly somehow string together new/ novel sounds/ notes that cause their fans and crowds to momentarily pay attention and gush—or even worse/ more difficult/ an even higher tightrope, new selfie poses by kim kardashian. what pressure. maybe some baby oil? the modern media/internet maelstorm definitely gives new meaning to the phrase race to the bottom. 😮
actually that now reminds me of an old classic shakespeare quote. isnt it strange how his ideas never get old and seem to get refreshed each new generation?
it is a tale of sound and fury, told by an idiot, signifying nothing.
ooh, maybe should not be talking. writing blogs makes me a media producer and requires substantial novelty too.
could one say that the 116 number is so manipulated as to nearly be meaningless aka “signify nothing”? but maybe that is the point. hey, judging by kim kardashian media saturation, in comparison americans dont really care about “statistics” like that anyway right? there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. and in war, the first casualty is the truth….
hey lets face it, war is a sort of collective mass insanity that has persisted for millenia. thinking about it in any detail will melt your brain, give you nightmares and make you go paranoid, insane, and/ or suicidal! (nothing worse than your typical antidepressant side effects right? might sound alarming but anyway with war thats all just variations on a theme!) just ask george orwell, right? its just now that we have extremely efficient, cutting edge technological means of pulling it off. honestly, even with his extraordinary “visionary” sight, it would seem that orwell seriously underestimated the situation and future possibilities (from his pov/ era)…
ok the prior musings are slightly embarrassing to attach to this serious subject, but its just what came to mind. sometimes the (so called) collective consciousness overrides my own.
my silver lining is that hollywood is now covering the subject in a compelling way in two recent movies.[f] ok, ok, its nice to see a few requisite/ plaintive complaints in the media.[d] there was also a very notable wired profile on the origin of the drone program which has been mostly classified until now, so its a huge coup/ scoop for them, but alas nobody else seemed to notice much.[c2] but alas, its a brave new world and new developments are moving very quickly in this area. it looks like as hollywood has long feared/ sensationalized/ warned, Warbotics is the ultimate WarToy™.[e]
picture from [e24]. & how about this quote?
For the Pentagon leadership, innovations like the X-47B are centrepieces of a new wave of military technology that officials hope will keep the US ahead of China and Russia, whose heavy investments in recent years has closed the gap.
dontcha just luv heavy investments closing the gap? that captures the whole systematic, rational sensibility of the big endeavor/ project/ ambition right? hey thats what warfare is always about, right? “keeping up with the joneses”? (just like manhattan project, that classic “hit” from over ½-century ago! even starring our hero the nobel-prize winning feynman with all his silly hijinx!) yeah dont forget, race to the bottom… we’ll all just keep heavy investing to close the gap right all the way up to SKYNET right? (ah hell if get any more cynical will have to start writing for tomsdispatch or antiwar.com)
speaking of hollywood, just thought of this, hasnt anyone thought of doing a documentary on drone warfare? hooey theres a subject begging for multiple treatments and one could easily fill 90m with a lot of amazing stuff!
- a. whitehouse/ leaks
- b. jihadi john
- c. bkg/ profile/ incidents
- d. failure/ criticism/ blowback
- e. advances/ future
- f. hollywood
- 1. Obama Will Finally Own Up to Drone War Dead – The Daily Beast
- 2. President Obama administration say as many as 116 civilians killed in drone strikes | Daily Mail Online
- 3. Did Obama Just Lowball The Drone War Death Toll? – The Daily Beast
- 4. How Obama went from reluctant warrior to drone champion – The Washington Post
- 5. U.S. Killed Up To 116 Civilians In Drone Strikes Outside War Zones, White House Says
- 6. 3 Reasons We Can’t Believe President Obama’s Dramatically Low Figures on Drone Deaths | Alternet
- 7. Where Are The Drone Casualty Figures the White House Promised Months Ago?
- 8. Obama: ‘No Doubt’ Civilians Have Been Killed In Drone Strikes
- 9. As Court Shields Drone War, Will Obama’s ‘Kill List’ Ever See Daylight? | Alternet
- 10. The <i>New York Times</i> and <i>Washington Post</i> Are Ignoring Civilians Killed by U.S. Drone Strikes | The Conversation US
- 11. The ‘Drone Papers’ Do Not Reflect All Drone Programs, Especially in Pakistan | C. Christine Fair
- 12. The Next Snowden – New Whistleblower Leaks Huge Dossier on Drones & Obama’s Assassination Program | Alternet
- 13. Snowden and Ellsberg hail leak of drone documents from new whistleblower | US news | The Guardian
- 14. THE ASSASSINATION COMPLEX/ the intercept
- 15. ‘Drone Papers’ Revelations Are a Cry for Ending the Slaughter | Marjorie Cohn
- 16. US drone ′precision′ doubted | News | DW.COM | 16.10.2015
- 17. Who Is the U.S. Killing With Drones?
- 1. As Jihadi John is ‘evaporated’ by US drone grieving families’ regret he didn’t suffer | Daily Mail Online
- 2. ISIS’s Jihadi John was spied on in Syria by US and GCHQ with a laser-guided missile | Daily Mail Online
- 3. ISIS executioner Jihadi John’s death may have accelerated Paris attacks | Daily Mail Online
- 4. Jihadi John dead after being ‘evaporated’ in midnight drone strike | Daily Mail Online
- 1. She Kills People From 7,850 Miles Away/ dailybeast
- 2. How Rogue Techies Armed the Predator, Almost Stopped 9/11, and Accidentally Invented Remote War | WIRED
- 3. America’s Secret African Drone War Against the Islamic State | Nick Turse
- 4. Boasting Iran airs footage from drone it flew ‘directly over’ aircraft carrier USS Harry Truman – but the Navy says it chose not to shoot it down because it ‘posed no threat’ | Daily Mail Online
- 5. Two Years Ago Israel Attacked Gaza for 51 Days as Drone Warfare Becomes the Norm | Alternet
- 6. Soldier Shoots Down Drone With Cyber Rifle At Defense Secretary’s Feet | Popular Science
- 7. Crashed drone in Somalia shows how the military hides its eyes in the sky | The Verge
- 8. How the Reagan-Era CIA Predicted Our Drone Dystopia – The Daily Beast
- 9. Ground Zero in the Robot Air War – The Daily Beast
- 1. Ex-Drone Operator Says Program Is ‘Good At Killing People, Just Not The Right Ones’
- 2. $700 million mine-hunting drone can’t find explosives – CNNPolitics.com
- 3. When Good Drones Go Bad | WIRED
- 4. Fallen from the skies: drone crashes database – Washington Post
- 5. America’s drone crisis sees 400 craft crashed since 2001 | Daily Mail Online
- 6. Bill Moyers: Oh, America – 6 Months in Prison for Taking Pictures of a Protest Against Drones? | Alternet
- 7. A Drone Protestor Heads to Jail
- 8. A Grandma Drone Resister’s Letter From Prison | Alternet
- 9. Drones and Blowback
- 10. The Psychological Impact of Sending Robot Assassins, Halfway Around the World, to Inevitably Kill Both Terrorists and Innocents | Alternet
- 11. Drone Wars Produce PTSD Victims on Both Sides | Alternet
- 12. How Islamic Jihad Hacked Israel’s Drones – The Daily Beast
- 13. Drone Whistleblowers Step Out of the Shadows
- 14. The Disturbing Truth Behind U.S. Drone Assassinations That the Government Tried to Keep Secret | Alternet
- 15. Has a rampaging AI algorithm really killed thousands in Pakistan? | Science | The Guardian
- 16. The NSA’s SKYNET program may be killing thousands of innocent people | Ars Technica UK
- 17. Killing by metadata: How drone warfare threatens Europe’s existence — ScienceDaily
- 18. ‘They don’t care who gets killed’: Ex-drone pilot turned whistleblower to RT — RT USA
- 19. The Untold Casualties of the Drone War | Rolling Stone
- 20. I am on the Kill List. This is what it feels like to be hunted by drones | Voices | The Independent
- 21. It’s Going To Be Great When Donald Trump Controls The Drone Program
- 22. New report calls for ban on ‘killer robots’ amid UN meeting | Daily Mail Online
- 1. Unmanned combat robots beginning to appear | Robohub
- 2. New artificial intelligence beats tactical experts in combat simulation — ScienceDaily
- 3. Rogue ‘Terminators’ which can kill without human orders ‘will be in use within years’ | Daily Mail Online
- 4. Achieving Autonomous AI Is Closer Than We Think
- 5. Do We Want Robot Warriors to Decide Who Lives or Dies? – IEEE Spectrum
- 6. The Army Wants You to Make Its Soldiers Pocket-Sized Drones | WIRED
- 7. US military gives go ahead to ‘Gremlin’ drones | Daily Mail Online
- 8. Old aircraft re-purposed as AI drones for US fighter jets | Daily Mail Online
- 9. Military killer robots create a moral dilemma – FT.com
- 10. US Army reveals radical new self-driving troop carrier: GXV-T can keep soldiers sealed inside and even automatically reconfigure its armour to ‘bounce off’ missile attacks | Daily Mail Online
- 11. The Argument For Robots That Can Think, Decide — And Kill
- 12. Veil of secrecy lifted on Pentagon office planning ‘Avatar’ fighters and drone swarms – The Washington Post
- 13. Pentagon reveals plans to mount laser weapons on drones | Daily Mail Online
- 14. US military developing ‘tailsitter’ drone that carry as much as a Predator | Daily Mail Online
- 15. US military raises the stakes for Spot the robotic dog – CSMonitor.com
- 16. US Army tests swarms of drones in major exercise | ITworld
- 17. The Pentagon wants at least $12 billion to fund AI weapon technology in 2017 – Business Insider
- 18. The Pentagon Wants to Put This in Your Brain/ dailybeast
- 19. Israeli ‘combat robot’ has its own remote controlled Glock to shoot at enemies | Daily Mail Online
- 20. SKYNET: Courier Detection via Machine Learning
- 21. Vanishing Drone: US Military wants a drone that can disappear | BGR
- 22. Will ISIS Launch a Mass Drone Attack on a Stadium? – The Daily Beast
- 23. Three Words: Self. Destructing. Drone. – The Daily Beast
- 24. US military: Robot wars
- 25. Russia Defense Report – Jan. 22, 2016: Robot Wars | Veterans Today
- 26. Ashton Carter unveils extra funds to bomb ISIS and counter Russia | Daily Mail Online
- 27. Drone Killing Architect May Become Next Supreme Court Justice » Alex Jones’ Infowars: There’s a war on for your mind!