hi all. what a firestorm this week. james Damore got fired over his memo analyzing gender differences at google, citing scientific research into evolutionary psychology. theres so much media froth on this feel sure that it will continue into next week, but my bookmarks runneth over at this point. “triggered”! like the essay itself: touched a nerve….
this comes at a very bad time for Google which was already under investigation for hiring balances by the US labor dept[a23] and female engineers are considering a class action lawsuit.[a14][a15] looks from here like Google is under pressure from multiple/ all sides/ fronts, maybe in a catch22/ no-win situation wrt this issue. aka a lightning rod, just like damore himself! its turned into a black eye/ PR nightmare for everyone involved…
have studied evopsych heavily for over a decade. it doesnt fit in well with the modern thinking on “political correctness”. that might be an understatement. the two seem to be in conflict, almost with as much fervor as science and religion. the scandal is reminiscent of one involving Summers at Harvard over a decade ago that also partly cost him his job.[d1][d2]
my feeling is that evolutionary psychology is as old as freud who noticed a very distinct sexuality component to the ego. he didnt seem to realize exactly how “hardwired/ instinctual” it is, maybe he thought it was somewhat cultural. it was a sort of theoretical abstraction for him much of the time. he also was in some ways apparently more interested with what might be called childhood pseudo-sexuality than adult sexuality.
damore eruditely criticized groupthink, and got fired for his effort, even with his meticulous citations it was no defense (or maybe the citations made it even worse?).[a12] incendiary! feel he maybe deserved some time off without pay but think the TERMINATION was overreactive. it proves that neither the left or right has any monopoly on reason/ logic.
think he is making some subtle points/ distinctions based on solid science, would like to unpack some of his thinking further here but thats likely a futile endeavor. one might even call it a discriminating essay. did anyone notice how that word is a double-edged sword?
in some cases like this, the actual/ specific contents of the writing do not matter so much. it looks like a modern verbal rorschach test so to speak (and yes, that concept is contradictory). Damore is being widely misquoted. lots have put words into his mouth. a cavalcade of straw men have been knocked down and burned. there is a lot of “projecting” going on by people and even by reputable news agencies.
in the 21st century, there really are certain topics that people just cant discuss dispassionately. its as if the reasoning brain center is just hijacked ala that movie “inside out”… politics, religion, sex. the radioactive trifecta! in various ways Damore managed to impinge on all 3! in the age of 50 shades of gray, our culture only recognizes/ is increasingly polarized into black/ white.
sometimes, free speech is really a laughable/ laughingstock abstraction in our country.
although in this age of ~½-naked kardashian selfies, its slightly )( heartening that something other than a racy bimbo photo went viral. an actual, real-live intellectual argument! but maybe thats only an illusion and it was really only the gnashing of teeth, pulling of hair, and shrill shrieking that actually went viral…?
have noticed and noted here the increasing attention bordering on shrillness to gender differences in technology and computer science.
yin vs yang is a thousands-year old concept but it seems modern culture is somewhat in denial of it. yin vs yang is a deep element of the universe and was once celebrated for its harmony, but it seems that the old concept Battle of the Sexes has returned in our lives in a new novel form.
big corporations are all about image vs reality. unf the bigger the corp, the more controlling it is, and modern young tech corps cannot escape that tendency. google despite all its idealism & “think differently” (aka apple) is STILL A CORP.
it seems to me we need to redesign corps. there is a ref to “corporatocracy” that have myself felt/ lived personally for over a decade and a half (or rather, have lived in it for over two decades but didnt notice its oppressive tendencies immediately– seems they are very well hidden/ concealed). corps have more power than govt. reality is the opposite of whats “on paper”.
youve heard all about “thinking outside the box” at supposedly enlightened corps? corps ARE the box.
corps have lots of invisible, but nevertheless sometimes deadly electric fences. ZZZT, ZAP.
corps are the modern Panopticon realized. invented by Bentham and (re)analyzed by Foucault.
⭐ ⭐ ⭐
dont wanna be all negative-sounding for an entire blog post! so, moving on, another recent highly politicized episode/ drama combining tech + gender with more of a happy ending is the case of the female afghan robotics team.[c] reports are that Trump personally intervened. Ivanka Trump attended the meeting and gave a speech. its always quite heartening to witness/ realize that Govt Always Does The Right Thing If Enough People Kick It Hard Enough.™
we dont have Obama and his coding initiative any more but it looks like Ivanka may pick up some of that slack. there are news reports about her daughter learning coding/ CS.[d4][d5]
- 1. Google Employee’s Anti-Diversity Manifesto Goes ‘Internally Viral’ – Motherboard
- 2. Google worker’s call to stop positive discrimination fury | Daily Mail Online
- 3. Google on Anti-Diversity Manifesto: Employees Must ‘Feel Safe Sharing Their Opinions’ – Motherboard
- 4. Exclusive: Here’s The Full 10-Page Anti-Diversity Screed Circulating Internally at Google [Updated]
- 5. Google’s head of diversity slams internal memo | Daily Mail Online
- 6. The Anti-Diversity Memo Leaked Out Of Google Is Typical Tech Industry Discrimination | HuffPost
- 8. Google Fires Author of Divisive Memo on Gender Differences – Bloomberg
- 9. Google fires male engineer behind viral gender memo | Daily Mail Online
- 10. That Google Manifesto Really Put Executives In a Bind | WIRED
- 11. Google on Anti-Diversity Manifesto: Employees Must ‘Feel Safe Sharing Their Opinions’ – Motherboard
- 12. Here Are the Citations for the Anti-Diversity Manifesto Circulating at Google – Motherboard
- 13. Katie Hopkins: How can we trust Google with free speech? | Daily Mail Online
- 14. Sixty women consider suing Google over gender pay gap | Daily Mail Online
- 15. More than 60 women consider suing Google, claiming sexism and a pay gap | Technology | The Guardian
- 16. REVEALED: Google’s Social Justice Warriors Create Wrongthink Blacklists – Breitbart
- 17. Google Employee’s Viral Anti-Diversity Manifesto Confirms Your Worst Fears About Tech-Bro Culture | Alternet
- 18. Google Memo Author James Damore Offended Fellow Students in Grad School Skit | WIRED
- 19. Internal Messages Show Some Google Employees Supported James Damore’s Manifesto | WIRED
- 20. Julian Assange wants to hire the Google engineer who got fired for writing the controversial Google manifesto
- 21. Yes, Women’s Brains Are Different. And Google Needs More Of Them. | HuffPost
- 22. I’m a Google Manufacturing Robot and I Believe Humans Are Biologically Unfit to Have Jobs in Tech – McSweeney’s Internet Tendency
- 23. Google Blasted Sexist Memo but Resisted Giving Feds Data on Discrimination
- 24. Google’s CEO Must Answer These Questions About That Memo | WIRED
- 25. CounterPunch: Google Censors Block Access To Alternative News
- 26. Brother of fired ‘anti-women’ Google engineer hits back | Daily Mail Online
- 1. Former Google employees complain about their job perks | Daily Mail Online
- 2. Google employees reveal what they hated most about working at the company on Quora | Daily Mail Online
- 3. Google employees enjoy free gourmet food and naps at work | Daily Mail Online
- 1. All-Girl Robotics Team In Afghanistan Risked Death To Compete In U.S. But Were Still Denied | HuffPost
- 2. Denied: Afghanistan’s All-Girl Robotics Team Can’t Get Visas To The US
- 3. After Visa Denials, Afghan Girls Can Attend Robotics Contest in U.S. – The New York Times
- 4. Afghan girls, once denied visas, win limelight at US robotics contest, United States News & Top Stories – The Straits Times
- 1. The pseudo-feminist show trial of Larry Summers.
- 2. Why Feminist Careerists Neutered Larry Summers – The Atlantic
- 3. More Women Are Learning Computer Science! Now, About Those Jobs… | WIRED
- 4. Ivanka reveals her daughter’s homework in cute Instagram | Daily Mail Online
- 5. Ivanka to take coding class with daughter this summer | Daily Mail Online
- 6. Marissa Mayer and the Failure of Trickle-Down Empowerment – The Daily Beast
- 7. Diverse Hiring Practices Don’t Lower The Bar For Employees, They Weed Out The Mediocre | HuffPost
- 8. Girl Scouts unveil new STEM badges for robotics, coding – Business Insider
- 9. Gender Bias: it is worse than you think / RJLipton blog
- 10. Absolute Firsts, an initiative for women in computing / RJLipton blog